"The Date" is the sixth episode of the first season of Teen Titans Go!, and the sixth overall episode of the series.
Robin gets up the courage to ask Starfire on a date, only to find that she has already agreed to go out with Speedy, Robin's archrival...so Robin kidnaps Speedy!
The episode starts with Robin playing with a fortune teller and shouting in excitement. Beast Boy passes his door, but stops and wonders what Robin is doing. Cyborg later joins Beast Boy on finding what it is. They manage to steal the fortune teller from him. Cyborg and Beast Boy make fun of him for playing with "baby games" but then play it themselves. Both Cyborg and Beast Boy's fortunes were about Starfire, (Beast Boy: you will marry Starfire and Cyborg: You and Starfire will have seven kids) then Cyborg checks all the fortunes. They ask Robin why are all of the fortunes about Starfire, and he tells them the fortunes were meant for him.
After hearing a voice in his head and getting bad advice from Cyborg and Beast Boy, Robin asks Starfire to a restaurant opening tonight, which she declines because Speedy, by his luck, already asked her. Speedy walks in as a jealous Robin tries to convince Starfire that Speedy is wrong for her. She says she is only going because he and Speedy share many auditory and physical features, hinting she may have a crush on Robin. Robin then kidnaps Speedy, dresses up like him and plans to ruin their date. As Cyborg and Beast Boy watch Speedy, Starfire regrets going on the date. Cyborg and Beast Boy got bored and ask Raven to keep watching Speedy, while they go out and eat. Speedy then escapes, with Raven not showing any attempt to keep him tied.
Starfire on her date, tells Speedy (Robin) that she was wrong to think he was like Robin, and walks away from the date. As Starfire is leaving, Speedy (dressed as Robin) arrives. The two boys fight and Robin switches back into his original costume in time for Starfire to fall for Robin. Robin started hearing a voice and felt guilty and tells Starfire what happened. Starfire seems happy at first but punches Robin in the face for ruining her date. Just as she's about to bring Robin further pain, the voice in Robin's head takes her out on a date as Robin lays on the floor, disappointed, along with Speedy knocked out, lying on the floor.
- Beast Boy
- Speedy (debut)
- The Voice in Robin's Head (debut)
- Generic Jump City Citizens
- The voice in Robin's head was voiced by Ricky Jay.
- This is the first time that Starfire frowns with a curved mouth.
- Cyborg misspells green when trying to find out Beast Boy's fortune. He spells it like g-r-e-e-e-e-n.
- This is the debut of Speedy in the Teen Titans Go! continuity with Scott Menville, also the voice of Robin, replacing Mike Erwin for the voice of Speedy.
- Silkie is absent in this episode.
- An episode from The Amazing World of Gumball shares the same title.
- It appears that Robin is supposedly good with archery.
- This is the first appearance of Robin and Starfire's bedrooms.
- This is the first romantic-themed episode of the series.
- Robin's narrator might be a reference to the movie "A Christmas Story" where the main character also has a similar narrator.
- Robin offers Beast Boy and Cyborg Scooby Snacks if they watched Speedy, and, when accepted, Beast Boy turns into a dog that resembles Scooby-Doo.
- It may also be a reference to the DC Nation New Teen Titans shorts, Turn Back The Clock where he ran out of BB Snacks.
- In Robin's room, you can see two posters, one of the Joker and one of Two-Face. There is also a punching bag with the faces of Bane, Killer Croc, and Deathstroke (Slade) on it.
- Starfire going out with Speedy may be a nod to their relationship in the comic series, Red Hood and the Outlaws.
- When the voice in Robin's head talks about how he thinks Robin is going crazy, it shows Robin in a straight jacket and with a mask, similar to Hannibal Lecter from The Silence of the Lambs.
- When Speedy asks Cyborg and Beast Boy to untie him and they say no repeatedly, the way they say it is a resemblance to an episode of Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness known as "Mama Told Me Not to Kung Fu", where Po repeatedly asks why Crane resigned from the Furious Five and Crane says no.
- When Beast Boy dreams of becoming a millionaire, his dream references Disney's DuckTales.
- Robin (in Speedy's outfit) uses the Howie scream when he charges at Robin in battle. This is later used in Gorilla.
- This is the first time Starfire hurts Robin.
- Robin and Speedy's rivalry and Robin's crush on Starfire are established.
- When Starfire arrives for the date, she is wearing green star-shaped earrings. However, they disappear when Robin (disguised as Speedy) throws food at her. They reappear when she leaves and runs into Speedy (disguised as Robin).
The transcript for "The Date" can be found here.
|The image gallery for The Date may be viewed here.|