"Starliar" is the eighteenth episode of the first season of Teen Titans Go!, and the eighteenth overall episode of the series.
When Starfire is the only Titan invited to the Titans East Annual Dance Party, Beast Boy teaches her how to lie so that she can spare the other Titans' feelings, but her lies turn all of the Titans against each other. Meanwhile, Starfire forgets to feed Silkie, so he goes into a feeding frenzy and enters each of the Titans' rooms, eating their stuff.
Beast Boy, Cyborg, Raven, and Robin are all practicing their dance moves for the upcoming Titans East party. When Robin asks what time the party starts, Raven suggests checking his invitation. However, the Titans realize that none of them were invited to the party. They find this odd because they were the life of the party last year, at least, from their perspectives. This leads to a flashback of that time where they actually ruined the party in multiple ways, which include accidentally hurting people and playing spooky music that freaked out the guests.
Starfire reveals to Beast Boy that she was, in fact, invited to the party, and plans to inform the others of her popularity. Beast Boy knows this would hurt the other Titans' feelings, so he tells Starfire to lie to them. She doesn't understand lying, so Beast Boy tells her how to do it. He claims that as long as she winks, they'll know she's just kidding. This of course, is not true.
Starfire then lies to the Titans. It all turns out good until the lies go wrong, and the rest of the Titans get mad at each other. Beast Boy and Starfire must then choose between going to the Titans East party, or admitting to the Titans that they had lied. Beast Boy and Starfire decide go to the party, under the assumption that everything will be fine. As they are dancing, you can see sadness on Starfire's face, showing that she seems to feel bad about lying to the other Titans.
When they come back, Cyborg, Raven, and Robin were seen fighting with each other brutally, and had destroyed much of the Tower. They continue to fight until Starfire tells them to stop. Starfire admits to the Titans that she lied, and they forgave her and forgave themselves. Starfire felt so bad, saying that she will leave the Titans because of her actions. Robin stops her from doing so, dismissing the trouble she had caused. The episode ends with Starfire winking at Beast Boy, after telling him that she meant everything she had said. This clues in that Starfire was possibly lying about being sorry in the first place.
- Titans East
- Batgirl (cameo)
- The episode title is a pun on Starfire's name.
- This episode marks the first time multiple Titans have cried together in the series, as Raven cried when she found out she wasn't invited to the Titans East party.
- This is the first appearance of the Titans East (excluding Speedy, who first appeared in "The Date").
- In this episode, it's revealed that Starfire never lies. However, even though she regretted it just after, she lied to Robin in "Ghostboy".
- It's revealed that Robin uses yellow bombs with robins on them. This is shown at the end of the episode when Starfire interrupts the Titans' fight.
- Starfire breaks the fourth wall by winking at the camera near the end of the episode
- This is the second time the title is a pun of one of the titans. The first was "Ghostboy".
- The subplot, which is Starfire neglecting to feed Silkie while lying, may be a reference to the episodes "Crash" and "Can I Keep Him?" Where Cyborg's system has a virus due to Beast Boy and thinks everything is food, (including his teammates), and where Silkie eats many things, constantly getting bigger (respectively), and eventually exploding.
- Furthermore, Silkie's eyes even briefly have a "digital scanner", referencing Cyborg's vision.
- When Cyborg is trying to pick which movie to watch, in his hands can be seen "The Dark Knight Snoozes" and "Plastic Man 3", a parody of The Dark Knight Rises and Superman III.
- Silkie barfing up the tofu box and showing that he clearly did not like tofu is a nod to the Silkie version of the original Teen Titans in "Can I Keep Him?" when Starfire offered him tofu and he was more verbal about refusing it vs refusing the other foods she brought him.
- The vacuum cleaner Silkie eats has a striking resemblance to R2-D2.
- Robin hitting Cyborg over the head with a metal folding chair is a reference to professional wrestling, most likely WWE.
- This is the second episode to have two major plots in one episode. The first one was "Hey Pizza!".
- This is the second time Starfire has lied on Beast Boy's request, which she previously did in "Ghostboy". However unlike the first time, she learns how to lie, and seems to enjoy lying.
- This is the first time Silkie's eyes are seen open.
- This episode contains various music from previous episodes:
- Music that was previously heard in "Legendary Sandwich" is heard in this episode when Starfire is about to feed Silkie pet food.
- Also, music from "Double Trouble" is heard while Silkie goes around the tower looking for things to eat.
- Finally, music from "Dude Relax" is heard when Robin, Raven, and Cyborg all start to get mad at each other as a trio.
- Aqualad is seen as a DJ for the Titans East Annual Dance Party. This was alluded in "Missing".
- The R2-D2 vacuum cleaner from "Tower Power" appears again, which Silkie ends up eating.
- Just before Silkie jumps off the table, Starfire leaves the can of food on a corner. But, when Silkie jumps, the can of food disappears. However, after Starfire shakes Beast Boy's hand, she grabs the can of food as it reappears in her hand. Then later, when talking to Beast Boy, the can of food is gone again.
- In the part when Starfire lies to Robin about Cyborg thinking he has a bad smell, Robin was seen with his staff, even though Silkie ate his staff earlier in the episode. However, Silkie could have spit it out at one point.
|The image gallery for Starliar may be viewed here.|