"Pie Bros" is the second episode of the first season of Teen Titans Go!, and the second overall episode of the series.
Cyborg's birthday is coming up, and so, Beast Boy takes a job at their favorite pie shop so he can afford an expensive gift. But when he had to work during Cyborg's party, his job threatens to come between the two pie bros.
The episode starts with Beast Boy drawing a picture of himself as a robot and Cyborg as a dog, as a birthday gift for Cyborg. Beast Boy tells Raven that by being Cyborg's best friend, he knows everything that he needs to know about him and things he enjoys. Raven and Beast Boy go to Cyborg, who is in the fridge, looking for something to eat. Beast Boy tells Cyborg that he obviously knows that Cyborg wants pie.
They later go to Mother Mae-Eye's Pie Shop and Raven tells the Titans that she hears that Mother Mae-Eye cooks people into her pies. Causing Raven and the Titans to laugh. Beast Boy tells Cyborg that he has the best birthday gift for him. Cyborg tells him that he hopes that is a new video game, which Beast Boy felt bad that he could not afford. Starfire then tells Cyborg that she would be organizing Cyborg's birthday party. Beast Boy is in front of a store window, where the video game that Cyborg wants is on display. He starts hallucinating about Cyborg, and the hallucination convinces him to get a job, so he could afford the game Cyborg wants.
He was looking for jobs everywhere on Jump City, being fired from each one. Not being able to find a job, Beast Boy is very sad at the gang's next trip to the pie shop. Starfire tells the gang that she would be holding Cyborg's party at Mother Mae-Eye's pie shop. Robin tells Beast Boy what's wrong, and that he replied about the game. Then he tells him that friends love homemade gifts and won't care what they expect and gives him the drink, to which Cyborg rejects. Robin tells him, "We cheap-os need to stick together." Beast Boy takes a job at Mother Mae-Eye's pie shop to buy the game for Cyborg, but his job may cause him to miss the party and lose his friend. At the birthday party Cyborg makes a toast criticizing Beast Boy and then he starts throwing the pies on the floor. Beast Boy tired of cleaning up, starts fighting with Cyborg. Then Mother Mae-Eye hypnotizes Robin, Raven and Starfire, making them go to the kitchen, throwing them into the stove. After fighting for a while, Beast Boy and Cyborg make up after Beast Boy shows him his picture.They start eating pies that look like Robin, Starfire and Raven. We soon see them semi-naked and beat up, tying up Mother Mae-Eye and Covered her eye and glaring at Cyborg and Beast Boy.
- Beast Boy
- Mother Mae-Eye (debut)
- Old Man (cameo)
- Ed (debut, cameo)
- Unnamed MME's Pie Employee (debut, cameo)
- Judge (debut, cameo)
- Unnamed Lawyer (debut, cameo)
- Surgeon (debut, cameo)
- The song at the beginning of the episode is from the game Tower Lockdown.
- This is the first episode with a song, the first episode to have Silkie absent, the first episode that Beast Boy got fired, and the first episode to have a villain return from the 2003 series, being Mother Mae-Eye.
- This episode is very similar to the original Teen Titans episode, "Employee of the Month", where Beast Boy tries to find a job. In both episodes, after several failed attempts at different locations, he finally gets a job at a restaurant run by the episode's antagonist.
- Beast Boy's illustration is a parody of Mojo Jojo from The Powerpuff Girls and the Nyan Cat.
- It could also be a spoof of Capcom characters such as Mega Man and Rush.
- In the Game Store window, there is a movie titled "Cats on Plane", which is a reference to film, Snakes on a Plane.
- As Ed's lawyer, Beast Boy spoofed Capcom's Ace Attorney series.
- Beast Boy was dressed as Apollo Justice, and acted like Miles Edgeworth in prosecuting the defendant, and had the attitude of Phoenix Wright.
- The song "I Love Pie" is a parody of the song "Let me Clear My Throat" by DJ Kool.
- The donkey that appears at the shop is similar to Donkey from the Dreamworks' Shrek movies.
- This is the first time Beast and Cyborg are shown completing each other sentences, which they do again in "Burger vs. Burrito" and "Yearbook Madness".
- This marks the first appearance of the reoccurring "Bubble Bots" game.
- Ed is seen in this episode, being put on trial for the crimes he committed in "Driver's Ed."
- This is second episode to have Starfire lose some hair. The first time was in the previous episode, "Legendary Sandwich".
- This is also the first time the "Simulator Zoo" game appears, it is seen again in "Driver's Ed" as the game Robin bought.
- As a kangaroo, Beast Boy should not have a pouch because he's a male.
- Ed was arrested for the crimes he committed in "Driver's Ed," however, this episode is set before then.
- It is possible that Ed escaped and his crimes continued in "Driver's Ed".
- Beast Boy catches seven pies as an octopus, but in the next scene, he has eight, instead.
- Beast Boy had the game before in "Power Moves," so he probably would have given it to him.
- Starfire's literal interpretations of the various party games.
The transcript for "Pie Bros" can be found here.
|The image gallery for Pie Bros may be viewed here.|