It's back to school as Robin becomes a teacher who forces the other Titans into a classroom, where they each teach a certain subject and try to avoid getting check marks on their permanent records.
The episode starts with Cyborg, Raven, Beast Boy and Starfire watching TV, hoping that the main character will escape the police. Robin appears dressed as a teacher and rings a school bell in front of their faces. Raven asks him about the mustache, and Cyborg says it's Mustache Monday. The other Titans agree and sport the best mustaches, but Robin says it's not Mustache Monday and declares that he is their teacher and the others are his students and sends them to the classroom.
In the classroom, the other four Titans are upset, but Robin declares that they are in need of learning skills in an ordinary classroom, declaring they don't have to stay, they decide to leave until Robin threatens to give them check marks if they misbehave, saying that it might go on their permanent record. Beast Boy tells Raven, Cyborg, and Starfire that his cousin got four check marks on his permanent record and lives in a dumpster. To avoid living in a dumpster, they decide to stay.
Robin says that he had no choice, while he claims that teaching is the hardest job, and Beast Boy decided to teach the class instead of him, and orders Robin to his desk. He becomes Mister B saying that he will teach science such as why is the sky blue, orange and red. However, Robin disrupts the class and gets the first check mark.
Starfire teaches grammar, explaining the importance of using the word "the" in sentences. Raven, Cyborg and Beast Boy uses "the" in their sentences, which upsets Robin. When he complains it is a force of force, to which Starfire gives him his second check mark for disruption.
Cyborg teaches Chemistry about relationships and sings the Chemistry Song, then gives Robin his third check mark for not listening.
Robin stresses out from all three classes, so Raven decides to teach the last class of the day and tells the others to do whatever for she doesn't care. After Robin asks the others to keep the noise down, Raven gives him his fourth check mark, saying that she doesn't care because she's a substitute teacher. The other Titans diss Robin for getting four check marks on his permanent record, to which Robin yells "NO!"
After this, Robin lives in a dumpster 30 years later with Beast Boy's cousin, who says 'permanent record' at the end of the episode.
For a full transcript of Permanent Record, click here
- This is the first episode in which the TV puppets are seen doing anything other than standing there and talking.
- Sticky Joe isn't physically seen in this episode, although his skull can be seen in the dumpster that Robin was in thirty years later, when he got four check marks on his permanent record.
- This the second episode in the series where the Titans are taught about a specific topic in a school-like environment. The first time was in "Cool School".
- "Hey You, Don't Forget About Me in Your Memory" does not count for this continuity, due to it being about the Titans actually attending school in an actual school building and less about them not learning or being taught anything in particular.
- The classroom from "How 'Bout Some Effort" is seen for the second time in the series.
- Raven is seen unhooded for the 57th time in the series.
- Robin's "teacher" appearance is a reference to the 1970's sitcom Welcome Back, Kotter.
- The Magical Learning Van is a parody of The Magic School Bus.
- Cyborg's teacher character is a reference to the Saturday Night Live character "The Ladies Man," played by Tim Meadows.
- Robin trying to correct the other Titans about school subjects, but falling to deaf ears.
- The other Titans giving Robin check marks for interrupting class.
- The Titans (except Robin) getting to teach the class.
- Cyborg, Beast Boy and Raven saying "The" in the beginning, middle and end of their sentences.
- Robin interrupting the lessons.
|The image gallery for Permanent Record may be viewed here.|