Robin forces the other Titans into a classroom where they each teach a certain subject and try to avoid getting a total of four checks mark on their permanent record.
The episode starts with Cyborg, Raven, Beast Boy and Starfire watching TV, hoping that the main character will escape the police. Robin appears dressed as a teacher and rings a school bell in front of their faces. Raven asks him about the mustache, and Cyborg says it's Mustache Monday. The other Titans agree, but Robin says it's not Mustache Monday and sends them to the classroom.
In the classroom, the other four Titans do not want to stay, until Robin threatens to give them check marks if they misbehave, saying that it might go on their permanent record. Beast Boy tells Raven, Cyborg and Starfire that his cousin got four check marks on his permanent record and lives in a dumpster. To avoid living in a dumpster, they decide to stay.
Robin says teaching is the hardest job, and Beast Boy decided to teach the class instead of him. He becomes Mister B saying that he will teach science, and threatens Robin with the check marks and teaches science. However, Robin disrupts the class and gets a check mark. Starfire teaches grammar, explaining the importance of using the word "the" in sentences.
Raven, Cyborg and Beast Boy uses "the" in their sentences, which upsets Robin. When he complains it is a farce, Starfire gives him a check mark for disruption. Cyborg teaches Chemistry about relationships and sings the Chemistry Song, then gives Robin a check mark for not listening.
Raven decides to teach the last class of the day and tells the others to do whatever, she doesn't care. She gives Robin another check mark, saying she doesn't care because she's a substitute teacher. After receiving four checkmarks on his permanent record, Robin lives in a dumpster 30 years later. Beast Boy's cousin says 'permanent record' at the end of the episode.
- This is the first episode in which the TV puppets are seen doing anything other than standing there and talking.
- This the second episode in the series where the Titans are taught about a specific topic in a school-like environment. The first time was in "Cool School".
- "Hey You, Don't Forget About Me in Your Memory" does not count for this continuity, due to it being about the Titans actually attending school in an actual school building and less about them not learning or being taught anything in particular.
- The classroom from "How 'Bout Some Effort" is srrn for the second time in the series.
- Robin's "teacher" appearance is a reference to the 1970's sitcom Welcome Back, Kotter.
- The Magical Learning Van is a parody of The Magic School Bus.
- Cyborg's teacher character is a reference to the Saturday Night Live character "The Ladies Man," played by Tim Meadows.
- According to the comics, Beast Boy's green skin is a side effect of the treatment that produced his animal-changing abilities. It's not genetic. So his cousin should not also be green.
- However, Beast Boy's cousin could happen to have a skin disease, which that might explain his green skin color.
- In the classroom, sitting in their desks, Starfire was placed between Beast Boy and Raven, but when Cyborg begins to sing his song about chemistry, Beast Boy and Raven are clearly sitting next to each other.
- Robin trying to correct the other Titans about school subjects, but falling to deaf ears.
- The other Titans giving Robin check marks.
- The Titans (except Robin) getting to teach the class.
|The image gallery for Permanent Record may be viewed here.|