"Legendary Sandwich" is the first episode of the first season of Teen Titans Go!, and the first overall episode of the series.
Raven sends the other Titans on a quest for the ingredients for a mystical sandwich so she can have the television to herself to watch Pretty Pretty Pegasus. Meanwhile, Robin waits a long time at the supermarket for his order, while the others have a run-in with the Sandwich Guardians of the sandwich ingredients.
Wanting to get rid of the other Titans so she can watch her favorite cartoon in peace, Raven sends them to the ends of the universe on a quest for the ingredients to make a legendary magical sandwich with the secret of eternal life.
Raven is watching a television show called Pretty Pretty Pegasus, when she gets bothered by the boys, who are eating Robin's "legendary sandwiches" messily. Raven overhears that they would do anything to get a legendary sandwich, and gets an idea to get rid of them. Raven tells them about a real life "Legendary Sandwich" in her Ancient Legends book, which could provide immortality and was so dangerous that the ingredients were scattered in many places. Each of the Titans, along with Robin, prepare to go after one of the ingredients for the mystical sandwich. Cyborg looks for the mystical bacon in Lava Lake, as he has heat resistance. Beast Boy looks for the King's Lettuce buried deep underground, which he reaches in gopher form. Starfire searches for the Stellar Tomato located among the stars. Robin goes after the pretzel bread located in the supermarket, much to his disappointment of the lack of danger. Raven enjoys her time alone in the tower, watching Pretty Pretty Pegasus. Robin waits at the supermarket for his order while the others have a difficult run-in with the Butterfaces.
Starfire, Beast Boy and Cyborg get beat up by the Sandwich Guardians, causing Starfire to lose her hair, Beast Boy to crack his teeth and Cyborg to lose his arm. After their fight, they manage to beat the Sandwich Guardians and get the ingredients. Robin, after waiting for a long time, finally gets the pretzel bread. Raven then makes the sandwich with a magical spell, and the other Titans get into a fight about who should eat the sandwich.
Unfortunately, Silkie eats the sandwich first, but then vomits it out, proving that Robin's sandwich is better and that the mystical sandwich has no value. The episode ends with Robin asking everyone if they want to watch Pretty Pretty Pegasus, to Raven's delight and Cyborg and Beast Boy's annoyance.
- Robin (debut)
- Raven (debut)
- Cyborg (debut)
- Beast Boy (debut)
- Starfire (debut)
- Silkie (debut)
- Pretty Pretty Pegasus (debut)
- Sandwich Guardians (debut)
- Generic Jump City Citizen
- Old Man (debut, cameo)
- Ancient Legends (debut)
- Robin's Bo-Staff (debut)
- This episode is the series premiere.
- Since this was the first episode aired, many lines and scenes are what were shown in previews on Cartoon Network about Teen Titans Go! before the show began.
- This series was first aired on March 30, 2013 at WC13 attendees before aired in the television.
- This is the first episode in which Starfire lost some of her hair.
- This is the debut of Raven's book, Ancient Legends.
- Butterbean is the first character to speak in this episode, making her the first character to speak in the entire show. However Raven was the first Titan to speak.
- This is the first time the title of the episode was mentioned.
- It is revealed that Raven likes the young children's show Pretty Pretty Pegasus.
- Robin also appears to have some interest in the show.
- Sometimes, the intro in this episode is cut a little bit.
- The Sandwich Guardians' appearance is similar to Cinderblock.
- Raven is shown watching Pretty Pretty Pegasus, a parody of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
- Tara Strong provides her voice acting talents for both Teen Titans Go! and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Furthermore, it was Tara Strong's character Raven playing with the toys and watching the show.
- A Batman cardboard cutout can be seen in the supermarket, advertising "Bat-O's."
- The legendary sandwich is really a BLT (Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato) sandwich with pretzel bread.
- When Cyborg says, "Ain't no mountain high enough to keep me away from this sandwich!" is a reference to the song "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell.
- When Starfire goes to search for the Stella Tomato, she goes to the "Lylat System." The Lylat System is where the events of the popular Nintendo game Star Fox takes place. The planet is seen in a different view than in the games so it is hard to tell which planet it is. Though if looking at different planets of the Lylat System, the planet shown is Titania as there are little signs of life and it looks like a desert,as well as there being rings surrounding the planet.
- At the supermarket, there is a wanted poster of The Joker on the wall.
- When Starfire, Beast Boy and Cyborg remove the food from the treasure chests, they act in a manner similar to when Link obtains a new item the Legend of Zelda franchise.
- When Robin is holding up the pretzel bread in the supermarket, he says the line "Whatever" in a monotone voice. This may be a reference to the character "Duane" from Full House, because Scott Menville, the voice of Robin, portrayed him.
- Pretty Pretty Pegasus becomes a running gag in the series starting with this episode.
- This is the first episode to be based off of an ancient legend.
- Robin is confirmed to be a very skilled sandwich maker, so much so that his sandwiches are shown to be superior to the Legendary Sandwich. His skill is later explained in Sandwich Thief as the result of years of training.
- Beast Boy wanted to eat the legendary sandwich, despite the fact that it contained bacon and he's a vegetarian, although he probably forgot to notice that.
- When Beast Boy was digging for the lettuce, dirt was shown being brought up, even though the living room doesn't seem to be on the ground floor.
- When Raven puts away her Pretty Pretty Pegasus dolls, she throws them away, but in the next scene, they're back (with a third doll) and she puts them away with her powers.
- Cyborg commented that Beast Boy couldn't eat the sandwich without any teeth, even though in "Smile Bones" the two of them had devised a way of eating without the use of teeth.
- Although, it is possible that they hadn't invented the method at this point.
- They also referred to teeth as "Smile Bones", even though they referred to them by their proper name in this episode.
- When Raven tells the Titans that the three ingredients for the "legendary sandwich" are at different corners of the world, the stellar tomato is not located on Earth despite what Raven said.
The transcript for "Legendary Sandwich" can be found here.
|The image gallery for Legendary Sandwich may be viewed here.|