Robin ignores the rules for a game of jinx and ends up losing his voice.
This episode starts with Cyborg being unable to talk while Beast teases him with pizza. Starfire appears and eats a single slice in front of him. The young Tamaranean wanted to know why Cyborg was being quiet. Beast Boy told her that Cyborg was jinxed and, by saying his name, released him from the jinx.
Starfire thinks that their villainous friend Jinx is in the tower. Beast Boy then explained the rules of jinx to her, only to have Cyborg jinx him. He then jinxes Raven and Starfire. Robin wanted to know what was happening and Cyborg said Beast Boy, Raven and Starfire's names which released them from the jinx. Starfire asks Robin to play, too, but he declines, claiming that yelling and his loudess can get the team to do what he says (That, and he cannot be jinxed) and gives the Titans a lecture about high cholesterol and its side effects instead. Cyborg tells him to use another method to communicate, but Robin prefers loud words and yelling.
Having had enough of Robin talking too much, they decide to jinx him. Cyborg intentionally sets off the crime alert, leading to Robin saying "Titans! Go!", his catchphrase and battle cry. The Titans all say "Go!" at the same time, jinxing Robin and preventing him from speaking. They warn him about the "consequences" of breaking a jinx, but keep the warning vague. However, Robin breaks the jinx and loses his voice in a magical sequence that leaves the other Titans stunned, but also relieved.
Cyborg, Starfire, Beast Boy and Raven enjoy their first day of silence, and Robin tries to get their attention through dancing, but to no avail. He also tries the international language of love to make his point, but he isn't exactly the most charming Titan to begin with. Robin later eats Birdarang, shocking the other Titans. Birdarang speaks for Robin from inside his stomach while he moves his lips. He wants the Titans to find his voice before Robin decides to eat more fish.
The Titans conclude that since Robin lost his voice playing jinx that it must be with their friend, Jinx. They immediately go to the H.I.V.E. Tower to confront her. Jinx does indeed have the voice and many others in her collection, each trapped in a special container. Birdarang pleads with her to return the voice, but she refuses. Using her bad luck magic, she makes a large object fall on Robin, forcing Birdarang out of his body.
Robin tries to use charades to communicate with his team, which they do not understand. Jinx laughs at Robin, believing that it's karma for him only using yelling and violence to lead his team which gives Robin an idea and he starts attacking his team (even Starfire). They somehow understand what he wants and attack Jinx, Starfire even admiting that Robin’s abusive behavior towards her is ‘inspiring’.
They fight, and in the process destroy many of the containers that house the stolen voices, setting them free. Jinx has had enough and she returns Robin's voice. He celebrates by being very loud and obnoxious.
Back in Titans Tower, Robin is happy to have his voice back just in time to give a new lecture about how he's always right and the others don't know what they're doing. Annoyed at Robin talking too much once more, Cyborg decides to set off another crime alert, leading to Robin being jinxed once again.
- Beast Boy
- Beat Box
- Sparkleface (heard only)
- Butterbean (heard only)
- Freak (heard only)
- Tooth Fairy (heard only)
- Sticky Joe (heard only)
- Scuttle the Seagull (debut)
- Sebastian the Crab (debut)
- Flounder the Fish (debut, cameo)
- Among the voices in Jinx's collection are Sparkleface and Butterbean's, fictional characters in the Titans' world and from Raven's favorite TV show, Pretty Pretty Pegasus.
- Beast Boy breaks the fourth wall, saying that Robin not speaking is the best day of his life.
- This episode premiered one year after "History Lesson".
- Once again, the relationship between Robin and Starfire is severely strained as Robin smacks Starfire in order to get her to fight Jinx to which she fearfully states is 'inspiring'.
- Upon grabbing Jinx, Starfire and Raven ask her if she is available for a "Girls' Night 5", which is a reference to the multiple times that the three girls have had a girls' night in the series.
- This is the second time that Cyborg apologized after crime fighting Jinx due to them being in a romantic relationship, with the first time happening in "Real Boy Adventures".
- Robin losing his voice and regaining it is similar to how Princess Ariel lost hers in Disney's, The Little Mermaid.
- Also, the way he was vocalizing, sounds somewhat similar to how Ariel was vocalizing when her voice got tooken away.
- The animals on the rock for this episode are a seagull, a hermit crab, and a blue and yellow tropical fish which is another reference to The Little Mermaid, symbolizing Scuttle, Sebastian and Flounder, which are Ariel's animal friends.
- Also to mention in this episode, while Robin played a somewhat similar role to Ariel, Jinx played a very similar role to Ursula the Sea Witch and Birdarang played a similar role to Prince Eric.
- The sequence in which Robin tries to communicate through dance moves it parallels the movie Flash Dance and the other Titans shout lines from Maniac, the movie's signature song.
- When it's deduced that Robin's voice is with Jinx because he was participating in a game of jinx, the Titans are at first very critical that they came up with such a simple and silly conclusion. But then they decide that it makes sense and praise themselves. Cyborg even says "That's why we're number one!" This could be referencing the mixed reviews Teen Titans Go! receives since it is not only widely criticized, but is also popular enough that it gets significant airtime on Cartoon Network.
- Beast Boy turned into Robin when trying to spell his name. However, this is impossible, he can only turn into animals, not copies of people. However, he did turned into a full grown man in "Beast Man".
- Tenichally, all of the Titans should have become jinxed when they said “Titans Go!” due to the fact everyone said it at the same time.
- However the reason everyone else didn’t get jinxed could have been because they worked together to jinx Robin.
- The Titans jinxing Robin by saying his catchphrase when he shouts it.
|The image gallery for Jinxed may be viewed here.|