"Gorilla" is the 12th episode of the first season of Teen Titans Go!, and the 12th overall episode of the series.
Beast Boy turns into a loud, obnoxious gorilla and refuses to change back, driving Robin crazy. Gorilla Beast Boy takes over the leadership of the Titans, leading to chaos, so Cyborg teaches Robin how to become an alpha male so he can reclaim his role as leader of the Teen Titans.
At the start of the episode, Robin is behaving like a tyrant and making the Titans do jumping jacks. Beast Boy shows up late for the training in gorilla form and gets verbally admonished by Robin.
Try as he might, Robin cannot get Beast Boy to stop being a gorilla. Gorilla Beast Boy acts like a real gorilla and is an immense annoyance to Robin and the Titans, using "gorillas don't..." as an excuse for his behavior. Eventually Robin has had enough and grounds Beast Boy. However Beast Boy decides to mutiny and challenge Robin for leadership, and states the law of the jungle dictated leadership went to whoever was the strongest. Robin easily gets overpowered by Beast Boy in gorilla form and loses leadership to him.
The others agree with Beast Boy and accept him as leader, due to getting sick of Robin's orders too. Beast Boy makes them go on pointless missions such as defending the playground and fighting crocodiles.
When all looks lost to Robin, Cyborg offers to train Robin to take back leadership, because he hates bananas. Cyborg helps Robin by putting him through rigorous training in order to go confront Beast Boy. Meanwhile Beast Boy re-decorates the Tower into a jungle lair somehow convincing Raven and Starfire to join in on his antics. During the confrontation Cyborg helps Robin figure out how to make Beast Boy step down as leader by using a feather and tickling Beast Boy.
- Beast Boy
- Mammoth (debut, cameo)
- Little Girl (debut, cameo)
- Batman (on phone)
- This is the longest time that Beast Boy has gone in an animal form.
- This is Mammoth's first appearance on the show, but only as a small cameo, when the Titans are fighting him.
- Raven and Starfire are noticeably more obedient than usual, as they have rebelled against Robin on several other occasions.
- It's revealed that Beast Boy can't hold his animal form while he's being tickled.
- Beast Boy saying crocodiles are the natural enemies of gorillas is a reference to the Donkey Kong series, in which the main enemies are King K. Rool and his army of crocodiles.
- The Howie scream can be heard from Robin before he and Beast Boy charge in the final battle.
- Robin says "D'oh!" which is Homer Simpson's catchphrase.
- The laugh Beast Boy makes while being tickled by Robin is a nod to a scene in Disney's The Jungle Book, where King Louie the orangutan is tickled by Baloo the Bear.
- This is the third time Cyborg's head has been detached from his body. ("Laundry Day", "Hey Pizza!")
- Justice Java from "Driver's Ed" has moved its location.
- This is the first time Beast Boy takes over leadership of the team. He later does so in "No Power" and "Brain Food".
- This is the first time Beast Boy says "Titans, Go!", which he later says again in "Brain Food".
- This is the second episode to have Beast Boy as the main antagonist. The first was "Ghostboy".
- Cyborg is revealed to not possess "glutes", even though in "Truth, Justice, and What?" he is shown to have one.
- Raven should not have slipped on the banana peel that Beast Boy tossed on the floor, as she was floating in air at the time.
- When Robin grounds Beast Boy, Raven momentarily switches to a different spot on the couch. She is also seen putting the book down, even though she had already placed it down earlier.
- When Cyborg was telling Robin to take the tiger's steak, the captions misread Cyborg's saying of "kitty cat" as "kick-a**". This is most likely due to early translation or a simple misunderstanding.
- Cyborg joins in acting like a gorilla at the end, even though he wasn't present during Beast Boy's animalistic influence.
- Beast Boy staying in his gorilla form through the episode (until the ending).
- Cyborg ordering Robin what to do in the zoo.
|The image gallery for Gorilla may be viewed here.|