Dr. Arthur Light is a reoccurring villain of the Teen Titans who uses light-themed super powers for his criminal activities. He made his debut in "Staff Meeting".
Dr. Light is a scientist and money-loving crook who frequently commits crimes such as bank robbery or stealing valuables from museums. His powers revolve around the manipulation of light that come from his suit.
In "Staff Meeting", he had a brief cameo where he was the test villain for Robin's broken staff. The staff was so pathetic, it inflicted no pain on Dr. Light whatsoever. Dr. Light begins to laugh, and blast Robin with a light beam, easily defeating him.
In "Colors of Raven", Dr. Light attempted to steal a magical prism from a museum. The Teen Titans arrive, and use their witty one-liners on him as they attack. Dr. Light was able to defeat Cyborg, Starfire, and Beast Boy in combat. Thinking he won, Dr. Light let his guard down, when Raven suddenly appears behind him and teleports him to prison.
In "Artful Dodgers", he is briefly seen on a team called the "Fluorescent Force". However, nobody from his team is seen but him. Team Titans easily defeats his team.
In "Caged Tiger", he made his first lengthy appearance. Dr. Light attempted to destroy the Titans with his light cannon, but when only Starfire and Raven showed up, he insisted that they wait until the other Titans arrive to fight him. During their wait, Dr. Light befriends them, and begins to bond with the girls. Near the end, Dr. Light decides to make a change to the good side and join the Teen Titans. Before the girls have a chance to explain his transition to the other Titans, they arrive and nearly kill Dr. Light. The nearly-dead Dr. Light swears revenge against them and remains a villain.
In "I See You", Starfire (in disguise as a man name Jeff) continually finds various crystals from around the city. Starfire (followed by Robin) is able to trace their source to Dr. Light's new hideout. Dr. Light tries to explain to Robin and "Jeff" that he is not up to any evil activity, but rather, he is making chandeliers and the art of light. Dr. Light also explains that the pain he suffers from his continual defeats drove him to express himself artistically through chandelier making. Though he is easily able to convince Robin, Jeff is still suspicious, and stumbles upon Dr. Light's secret plans: to unleash "chandelier death rays" upon Jump City. Jeff shoots a beam onto one of the chandeliers' support ropes, which causes it to fall on top of Dr. Light. Dr. Light is barely able to crawl out from under the wreckage, and yells "You'll pay for this, Jeff!".
Like in the original series, Dr. Light is portrayed as a fairly goofy and incompetent character. Despite this, he is a skilled enough combatant to defeat three out of five of the Titans, although they were defeated mainly because they were focusing on making one-liners instead of actually fighting him.
Powers and Abilities
- Light-Beams: Dr. Light can shoot deadly beams of light out of his hands and from the logo on his chest.
- Inventing: Dr. Light built a gigantic light cannon to destroy the Titans
- Light Shield projection: Dr. Light can create a light shield to defend himself.
Physical AppearanceDr. Light is a thin man with a black beard, and wears a black jumpsuit with a light-bulb printed on the front of it, as well as a dark helmet with silver stripes that covers most of his head and silver finger less gloves.
- Staff Meeting (debut, cameo)
- Artful Dodgers (cameo)
- Colors of Raven
- Caged Tiger
- Legs (cameo)
- Real Magic (cameo)
- A Cat's Fancy (mentioned)
- I'm the Sauce (cameo)
- Hey You, Don't Forget about Me in Your Memory (cameo)
- Animals, It's Just A Word!
- Black Friday (cameo)
- Pyramid Scheme (cameo)
- Finally a Lesson (cameo)
- The Titans Show (no lines)
- Who's Laughing Now? (cameo)
Online Game Appearances
- Dr. Light is the second most recurring villain, right after the H.I.V.E. Five.
- In Caged Tiger and I See You, Dr. Light is voiced by his returning voice actor from the original series, Rodger Bumpass. In Colors of Raven, however, he is voiced by Scott Menville. This is likely due to the fact that Dr. Light spoke only one word, "Titans", in the episode. Thus, it would be a waste of money for the studio to hire Bumpass to come and speak only one word.
- Scott Menville also voiced Doctor Light in the New Teen Titans Shorts.
- He was also in the game Drive-By Meatball Party as one of the passing by villains.
- In "Caged Tiger", his real name is revealed to be Arthur Light.
- Dr. Light nearly became a hero and would fight crime, but the male Titans stopped him because they still thought he was a threat.
- In the original series, Dr. Light was afraid of Raven after an incident which nearly killed him.
- He is the tenth villain from the original series to return.
- Dr. Light can be seen attending Starfire's wedding in "Nean", showing that he might still care about her as a friend.
- He considered turning good in "Caged Tiger", but returned a villain after the episode.
Voice in other languages
- Vilmos Papucsek, Zsolt Sarádi, Gábor Varga (Hungarian)
- ? (Italian)
- Sorin Ionescu (Romanian)
- Przemysław Nikiel (Polish)
- Samir Murad (Brazil)
- Pierre Laurent (French)
|The image gallery for Dr. Light may be viewed here.|