- Wait. I wanna to be a better sister.
- --Blackfire to the other Titans in "Mr. Butt"
Blackfire was always mean to Starfire her whole life, even back when they were little kids. When Starfire was five, Blackfire stole her favorite doll from her. Starfire was always nice to Blackfire no matter what she did to her. At some point later in her life on Tamaran, Blackfire got arrested and got sent to galactic jail for unknown crimes against the galaxy.
In the premiere episode "Mr. Butt", she escaped prison and visited Starfire at Titans Tower, saying that her only intent was that she just wanted to see her baby sister. Starfire brings Blackfire in, and tells the other Titans of her visit, much to their objection. Then Blackfire tricks Starfire into dressing up like her to be "twinsies", but instead, gets her arrested to serve out her sentence instead.
The other Titans later trained her to become a better older sister after this, however, by the time Blackfire became nice and more sisterly, Starfire was too filled with animosity towards her. The resentment resulted in Starfire engaging in a full-scale assault on her older sister, even destroying the doll that Blackfire returns to her in the process. She fell exhausted and unconscious from Starfire's endless onslaught, but Starfire assured the others that they "had worked things out".
In "Yearbook Madness," she is seen in the yearbook as a cheerleader with her trademark scowl.
In the third episode "I'm the Sauce", she makes non-speaking cameo appearances alongside many other villains to play Seven Up. She is then seen drinking chocolate milk with the rest.
In the "Bottle Episode," she is seen in a flashback of "Mr. Butt" where she and Starfire were destroying the Tamaranian guards with their laser eye beams.
She again appears as non-speaking cameos in "The Titans Show" where she was among the dozens of villains who had watched the Titans' and their ridiculous antics from afar. Once discovered, she fought Starfire one-on-one and used her lilac eye-beams in conjunction with those of Sea-more and Dr. Light against Starfire's bright green ones. The combined efforts were too much for Starfire and she was easily beaten. She was later caught off guard and defeated at the hands of an angry Starfire's larger eye-beams.
A blue-colored portrait of her grinning evilly was seen in the attic of the Titans' valuables in "Booty Scooty."
Blackfire (Komand'r) has appeared only as a non-speaking cameo, in a flashback of Starfire's, telling the audience about how she, Blackfire, had betrayed and exiled her own younger sister from their world in order for Blackfire to seize the throne and rule as a tyrannical queen over her own people.
Her role, whether speaking or cameos, are yet to seen.
Blackfire is a teenage girl with dark purple hair that is spiky at the bottom. She has dark purple eyes and pale white skin in contrast to Starfire's pale orange tone. She wears a black and silver two-piece dress with black gems on it.
She also wear long black and silver boots with black flames on the bottom. Though her skin is not normally visible, in "Mr. Butt", it is revealed that she wears dark purple nail polish and eyeliner. Blackfire can be seen painting Starfire's nails and eyelids respectively in that color.
Because of a rare illness she had had as a child, this makes her noticeably "deformed" and as such, her people less favored her.
Her eyes and hands glow a bright lilac when using her greater energy-based powers of ultraviolet energy projection.
Powers and Abilities
Tamaranian Physiology: Blackfire is capable of flying faster than light itself (an ability she did not possess in the DC comic books). Her powers are also further strengthened by her emotions and feelings. She is evidently much stronger and more experienced than Starfire. Her other Tamaranian abilities include:
- Superhuman Strength: She is capable of easily lifting cars, elephants and other extremely heavy objects with no effort. Her punches are also strong enough to break brick and concrete.
- FTL Flight: Like Starfire, Blackfire is able to fly faster than light itself under her own power; an ability she lacked in the original DC comics.
- Radiation Immunity: Like all Tamaraneans she is immune to all kinds of Radiation.
- Superhuman Agility & Reflexes: She is extremely agile and nimble in battle, and has incredibly fast reflexes.
- Superhuman Durability: She is extremely durable and can take quite a lot of physical damage and injury.
- Superhuman Endurance: She can endure several hours of extreme cold or heat.
- Enhanced Stamina: She can be awake for long hours at a time.
- Limited Invulnerability: She is invulnerable to most physical damage.
- Decelerated Aging: Like the rest of her species, Blackfire can remain young and beautiful for hundreds of years to match her extended lifespan.
- Interstellar Travel: Like all Tamaranians, she is capable of surviving within the vast vacuum of space at great speeds.
- Language Assimilation: Although never seen actually kissing other humans, can fluently speak any spoken language via lip contact; practically making her self-taught and more knowledge than Starfire in idioms and expressions.
Ultraviolet Energy Projection: Ever since being experimented on by the Psions, Blackfire can emit extremely powerful bursts of ultraviolet energy (which she calls "blackbolts" despite the fact that are colored a bright lilac) from her hands and eyes. She can also manipulate and control it to achieve a variety of destructive effects:
- Blackbolt Bomb: Although not shown yet, it is implied that she can emit an extremely large and destructive bomb of pure purple-colored ultraviolet energy, as Starfire can.
- Blackbolt Bursts: Circular blasts of light purple-colored energy she emits from her hands.
- Blackbolt Waves: She can project waves of lilac glowing "blackbolt" energy that can destroy a wide area in seconds.
- Blackbolt Beams: She can fire beams of her lilac-colored "blackbolt" energy from her hands from a distance.
- Blackbolt Rain/Shower: If angered enough, she could unleash a rain-like shower of blackbolts down, causing massive damage.
- Blackbolt Eye-Beams: She also fires purple laser beams from her eyes. Her eyes glow purple when using this ability. It is implied that can even control the direction of her lilac-colored optic beams, capable of locking onto and homing in on her enemies. They are much thinner than her sister's are. She used this optical ability in conjunction with See-More's red energy ray and Dr. Light's white energy ray, which easily overpowered Starfire's own eye- beams in The Titans Show.
- Blackbolt Barrage: She can emit multiple circular "blackbolts" from her hands that rain down on her opponents and are capable of causing quite a lot of damage in the area.
- Lilac Fire Generation: In "The Titans Show" she was seen covering the sides of her body with a lilac-colored fiery aura, which she then concerted into an incredibly strong, focused ray of blackbolt energy at her little sister.
Natural Abilities and Talents
- Advanced Martial Artist: Unlike her little sister, she is quite skilled and more experienced in high-levels of alien martial arts.
- Experienced Hand-to-Hand Combat: In addition to her martial arts skills, Blackfire knows many high-level forms of hand-to-hand combat techniques.
- Master Manipulator & Deceiver: Just like Terra, she can easily control and convince people that she is "nice, kind, and friendly" to her own advantage and whims.
Blackfire has never liked her younger sister, even as a young child, but in the episode Mr. Butt, she wants to become a better sister after realizing Starfire loved her all these years, and she (Blackfire) broke her heart. She even returned the doll she stole from her as a five-year-old child to show she's really changed and sorry for what she has done. But Starfire, however, still continues her revenge on her. It is unknown what their sisterly relationship is now because Starfire seemed to forgive her even though she knocked Blackfire unconscious for her revenge, stating that they "worked things out." In "The Titans Show," she was seen having returned to her old ways of villainy and long-held hatred of her younger sister. She unleashed a barrage of lilac, glowing blackbolts down at Starfire, and used her blackbolt eye-beams in conjunction with See-More and Dr. Light's respective energy beams, which were too much for Starfire to handle. She was later caught off guard and was blasted by an angry Starfire's large starbolt eye-beams.
Robin is Blackfire's possible romantic interest, although she is mainly attracted to his rear, as she constantly calls him "Mr. Butt" and is shown to focus on it, to which Robin detests. At first, Robin is shown to strongly dislike Blackfire due to her terrible treatment to her sister, Starfire. After Blackfire takes "Sister School" seriously, Robin is shown to be much nicer and allowed Blackfire to call him "Mr. Butt" and showed concern after Starfire finished her revenge on her.Beast Boy to grow up and be a man for his problems. After attending "Sister School", she becomes much more friendlier with the other Titans, as she gives Raven a makeover, offers advice to Beast Boy about true sisterly love, which made Cyborg and Robin proud of her.
- I'm the Sauce (cameo)
- Bottle Episode (flashback, cameo)
- The Titans Show (cameo)
- Booty Scooty (portrait in the attic)
- Justice League's Next Top Idol Star, Part One (flashback, cameo)
Appearances in other Media
- In comparison to the real Blackfire and TTG's Blackfire, the latter is actually just neutral rather than a villainess, while the TTG version of her is utterly evil, she continues to commit crimes throughout the galaxy, and treats Starfire badly.
- Blackfire is similar to Goku Black from Dragon Ball Super in terms of her similar name, design, and their powers and abilities. Though the only difference is that Goku Black is an evil doppelgänger of Goku, whereas Blackfire is supposed to be a neutral twin to Starfire.
- Although the series' creators were unsure about Slade or Blackfire ever making an appearance in the series, Scott Menville confirmed the return of Blackfire in the second season of Teen Titans Go! via his twitter account.
- Like Starfire, her ultraviolet energy-generating abilities are the results of being forcibly experimented on by the Gordians several years ago; not of the Tamaranean lifestyle.
- According to Robin, she is one of the most wanted criminals in the galaxy.
- Blackfire is voiced by Hynden Walch, who ironically enough also provides the voice of Starfire, her sister.
- Blackfire's appearance changes slightly compared to her appearance in the original series. In Teen Titans Go!, she appears to have a few added differences: Her skin is paler, her eyes are larger and her hair appears more purple instead of it being more black.
- Like in the original series' episode "Sisters", Blackfire seemed to be attracted to Robin. This appears to have elevated to a simple infatuation, particularly in his rear, as seen in an episode and comic of this line.
- She is the first villain in the second season.
- In the original Teen Titans series, she appeared as the main character in just two episodes:"Sisters" and "Betrothed." However, she was referenced by Starfire in "The Transformation" and "The End, Part II"
- She is the nineteenth villain from the original series to return.
- Unlike Starfire, Blackfire can speak English fluently.
- Aside from her younger sister, she is the only Tamaranian known to speak English without being taught by another; although she seems much more knowledgeable than Starfire in English idioms and expressions.
- Blackfire's real name (Komand'r) is a pun on the word "commander", just as Starfire's real name is that of the Earth flower "coriander". This was to exemplify Blackfire's generally-militaristic personality in comparison to the more peaceful qualities of her younger sibling.
- She appears to have a DCUbook account as seen in "Cool School".
- She is revealed to like smoothies and chocolate milk.
- It is unknown if Blackfire and the Titans (apart from her younger sister) are her now friends as at the end of "Mr. Butt" it seemed as she may have changed her ways but this is very unlikely, as seen in "The Titans Show".
Voice in other languages
- Éva Dögei (Hungarian)
- Monica Ward (Italian)
- Anca Iliese (Romanian)
- Katarzyna Łaska (Polish)
- Érika Menezes (Brazil)
- Edwige Lemoine (French)
- TBA (Greek)
|The image gallery for Blackfire may be viewed here.|