Artful Dodgers is Teen Titans Go! Season 1, Episode 11b, and the 22nd overall episode of the series.
The Titans confidently expect to win an upcoming dodge ball championship, even though the only thing they ever practice is their victory dance. Then they come up against an unbeatable dodge ball team – the H.I.V.E Five.
The episode starts out with the H.I.V.E. Five robbing a bank and the Titans confronting them. Gizmo gives the Titans a choice, stop the H.I.V.E. or save citizens from blowing up. The Titans say this isn't fair, but the H.I.V.E. says they don't care. The Titans point out that cheating is wrong and end up both stopping the H.I.V.E. and saving the civilians. And Robin tells them "Cheaters never prosper."
Back at the Tower, the Titans prepare for the upcoming dodgeball tournament by practicing their victory dance. They reflect on last year how they destroyed the competition (which was made up of much younger, non-super powered kids including the Little Girl). Then Raven and Starfire wonder why they won't be playing. Robin, Cyborg, and Beast Boy explain it's because Raven had demonically eaten the competition last year after she got hit and Starfire ate the dodgeballs. However, they will let them help out with their intro song and be cheerleaders on the bench.
The Titans enter the dodgeball arena with Starfire and Raven introducing them. As the Titans are overconfident and ready to play, they see that their opponents are the H.I.V.E. Five with See-More and Billy Numerous on the sidelines. The Titans are still confident they'll win. However, the H.I.V.E. destroys them in a matter of seconds. The Titans are annoyed by this because they apparently never lose.
Annoyed by this, the Titans confront the H.I.V.E. Five again as they're robbing a bank. They don't want to stop them (at least not yet), they just want a rematch, with Starfire and Raven still on the sidelines. Again, the Titans are destroyed by the H.I.V.E. in a matter of seconds. The Titans are even more annoyed that they've been beaten twice now. They even consider actually practicing, but think that would be too much work. Robin decides that they will resort to cheating which all the Titans agree with after a brief argument. Their form of cheating involved using their powers to enhance their dodgeball skills. They easily defeat teams consisting of Dr. Light and Cinderblock.
Then the Titans go up against the H.I.V.E. Five for one final time. Despite the Titans' cheating, the H.I.V.E. do ok and are able to dodge most of their attacks. Then Jinx point out that the Titans are cheating but the Titans don't seem to care. Then, while the Titans are distracted, the H.I.V.E. Five take out all five Titans in a matter of seconds. The H.I.V.E. are the dodgeball champions and receive the championship trophy. However, Robin makes a call and the police arrest the H.I.V.E. Five and the Titans win by default, which upsets the crowd. They celebrate with their victory dance, which now includes Starfire, Raven, and even Silkie, each with their own dance.
- Beast Boy
- Billy Numerous
- Little Girl (cameo)
- Cinderblock (cameo)
- Dr. Light (cameo)
- Silkie (cameo)
- Police Officer #2 (debut, cameo)
- When the other Titans get hit, Beast Boy is the only one left standing. He flinches, only to realize that he wasn't hit, then a ball hits him once he looks up.
- This episode is the first time that the Titans have directly saved innocent people's lives in the series on screen.
- This is Jinx, Gizmo, and Mammoth's third appearance (See-More & Billy Numerous's second) in the series as the dodgeball team the Titans face.
- During the part when the Titans fight against the teams lead by Cinderblock and Dr. Light, the background song sounds very similar to Van Halen's classic Jump.
- Starfire and Raven sing a parody of the original "Teen Titans" theme song by Puffi AmiYumi, changing the chorus, "Teen Titans" into "Team Titans". And also, the original footage intro is changed with balls instead of the Titans. The Team Titans are also an alternate Titans team from the future in the comics who consist of members like Kilowatt, Battalion, and the second Terra.
- The title is a reference and a pun on the character Jack Dawkins, known as "The Artful Dodger", from the book "Oliver Twist" by Charles Dickens.
- The highly reoccuring music from "Legendary Sandwich", "Starliar", and "Staff Meeting" returns.
- The way Cyborg referes to practice is similar to how NBA player Allen Iverson talked about practice in a press conference.
- In the beginning of this episode, Jinx whistles the Harlem Globetrotters theme song.
- Cyborg's victory dance is similar to the dance in Charlie Brown.
- In the scene where the H.I.V.E win the dodgeball championship game, look closely and you can see that Jinx's nose isn't there.
|Teen Titans Go! Episodes|
|Season 1||Legendary Sandwich • Pie Bros • Driver's Ed • Dog Hand • Double Trouble • The Date • Dude Relax • Laundry Day • Ghostboy • La Larva de Amor • Hey Pizza! • Gorilla • Girl's Night Out • You're Fired! • Super Robin • Tower Power • Parasite • Starliar • Meatball Party • Staff Meeting • Terra-ized • Artful Dodgers • Burger vs. Burrito • Matched • Colors of Raven • The Left Leg • Books • Lazy Sunday • Starfire The Terrible • Power Moves • Staring at the Future • No Power • Sidekick • Caged Tiger • Second Christmas • Nose Mouth • Legs • Breakfast Cheese • Waffles • Be Mine • Opposites • Birds • Brain Food • In and Out • Little Buddies • Missing • Uncle Jokes • Más y Menos • Dreams • Grandma Voice • Real Magic • Puppets, Whaaaaat?|
|Season 2||Mr. Butt • Man Person • Pirates • Money Grandma • I See You • Brian|